Saturday, April 18, 2009

Diana's companioin - DSFDF Challenge


This is my version of Karin Jurick's latest challenge in her blog "Different Strokes From Different Folks" (DSFDF). Every two weeks or so, Karin posts a photograph for interested artists to use to make some art - painting, drawing and etc. We send a photo of our art to Karin & she posts our photos in the blog. Cool!


Diana's Companion. 8x10 oil on masonite.

I've found it easier to begin a painting when the masonite or canvas isn't stark white.

This painting is done with Gamblin' Torrit Grey, Winsor & Newton's Zinc White and Gamblin's Ultramarine Blue. The story behind the Torrit Grey is really interesting (at least I think so!) - read about it at Gamblin's Torrit Grey Web Page.

This masonite panel is tinted a light blue but I do tint with other colors. I pour some white gesso into a container and add some acrylic paint until I have a color that I like. I usually give the masonite or canvas a couple of coats of this colored gesso mix depending on how well it covers or I'm happy with how the tinting looks.

Karin's challenge photo can be seen here.

4 comments:

  1. I like your painting. You achieved the sensation of stone, and in my humble opinion I think your values are very good too.
    I'm still working on mine, haven't finished the dog yet...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Carolina, you are SO kind! Thank you! I struggled with this challenge for some reason. I look forward to seeing your version. :-)

    Warm regards, Ken B

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice work! Keep hearing about Torrit Grey. Will have to get a tube before April's over. Congrats on your first show. I also like the work you've done from old photos. best, Liz

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Liz. The Torrit Grey is a little "trendy" maybe but it's fun and a "good" excuse to buy a tube (or two or three) of paint!

    Ken B

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment.