Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Lost in the moment - The Sax Player

$150.00 plus shipping
Lost in the moment - The Sax Player  16x20  Oil on canvas panel

Another case of I don't know why or how this happened!  Something I saw obviously but DUH I sure don't know where or when.

Anyway, I'm trying to capture the musician hitting the high note and holding it, concentrating, grooving, whatever it is that saxophone players do when they squint their eyes closed while they're making their music.

This is definitely a Work In Progress - I need to think about that face and the music that he's making. Maybe he's backing up George Thorogood or Bruce Springsteen or Sheryl Crowe!

My next step is to look at photos of saxophone players and see what a saxophone REALLY looks like! Maybe I should have already done that part?  Ya THINK?

5 comments:

  1. Ohmygosh Ken, I've just read about your award! Fantastic, brilliant and justly deserved! And all these other paintings that I've missed ... you just get better and better my friend.

    I learnt something very interesting yesterday - the bridge across the face from ear to ear over the nose is always slightly redder or darker than the rest of the face! Especially on fair skins. Interesting huh! Something to do with the blood being closer to the skin in that area!

    ReplyDelete
  2. HI LIZ! It's really cool that I won a prize at a judged art show! I have some paintings that were submitted to be juried into (or not) another local art show. But I'm not expecting any news there for a week or two.

    The "winning" painting has to stay at the show until May 21st so the award hasn't sunk into my brain yet.

    Thank you very much for dropping by!

    Ken B.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LIZ - PS - I didn't know that about the slight reddish (darker) "ear to ear over the nose"! I'll study some paintings and see if I can see what they're talking about.

    THANK YOU for helping me improve! I need ALL of the help that I can find! :-)

    Ken B.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Me again Ken. I found it in a dvd called 'Painting Oil Portraits in Warm Light with Chris Saper'. I ordered the dvd from your part of the world from North Light Studios.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Liz, thank you for the info! I'll see if I can get the DVD for a viewing.

    I saw a book at the bookstore "Portrait Painting Atelier" by Suzanne Brooker. The bookstore was asking $37 but Amazon has it for $20 + shipping. Based upon a quick "browse" it seemed that it has much good info.

    Thanks again!

    Ken B.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment.