Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Skunk Cabbage - WIP


Skunk Cabbage - (WIP) 20x24 Oil on canvas board

(WORK IN PROGRESS)

The idea for this painting comes from some photos sent to me by cousins who went on a cruise to Alaska. Althea is an accomplished photographer, Burt probably goes along to carry the luggage. :-)  He's very handy - or used to be.


I need to finish this with some glazes then put some detail in that long doo-hickey-thing coming out of the flower blossom. It should have many "bumps" on it. I think that the part is a "pistil" or a "stamen" - my biology friends might tell me?

1 comment:

  1. If I'm not wrong, those bumps still missing in your flower are actually tiny flowers with a pistil and/or stamens each one of them. These "flowers" are really groups of flowers or inflorescens (as sunflowers are, too, for instance)... I love plants !oD and yours is turning out lovely, I want to see it finished already!
    Best regards,
    Carolina

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment.