Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Rough sketches for upcoming Art Guild Art show

These are two "sketches" to try to see what colors work. I'm not completely happy with these sketches, but I'll work up another one or two of each. It's good practice and I need all the practice I can get! :-)

The pictures are taken from two of our family scrapbook photos. I'm the young boy with my mother on a fishing trip. My brother is with my dad. We lived in Central America during WWII and one of the diversions was fishing. That there isn't any resemblance to how we actually looked isn't on purpose. I'm simply unable to render a good likeness but I'm working on improving that.

"Lady fishing with a young boy". The painting is a "sketch" to see how my mother and I would look like in paint. The "sketch" is 6"x8" while the finished painting will be 11 5/8" x 24" . Another masonite scrap put to good use!























"Man fishing with a young boy". The painting is a "sketch" to see how my father and my brother would look like in paint. The "sketch" is 6"x8" while the finished painting will be 11" x 14" .






















I've "tinted" the gesso on the panels with dark mix of acrylic paints. The left side of both line drawings are washed out from glare. I work up my sketches on newsprint paper then when I have a pencil drawing that I like, I transfer the image to the masonite using Saral Wax Free Transfer Paper. The lines don't smudge like pencil or graphite do and the transfer paper can be used many times. Look for it at Dick Blick Art Materials.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment.