Monday, October 5, 2009

I really LIKE masonite!

This is one of many reasons that I like to use masonite rather than canvas or other "soft" painting supports. Lots of people don't like masonite for their good reasons. But when something heavy fell on this finished piece (it was framed and signed) and poked a hole in it all I had to do was use my table saw and cut off six inches. Granted, I was lucky that the hole was in a place where I could do that.


The "new" piece measures 12x24












The "old" piece measured 12x30











"THE HOLE" The hole measures about 6 inches by 3 inches.

The hole sort of
looks cool in a photograph. A big bird flying by? Note the smudged signature! Oh well! What the - - - - ?

5 comments:

  1. Could have been a lucky accident! I like it better now, interesting subject matter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Diana! REALLY? You like the "new" version better? Hmmmmmm! I was going for the vastness of the fields and how tiny the big machine appears. For some reason harvesting machinery has piqued my interest in the last few days. I really appreciate your thoughts about my painting.

    Ken B.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Ken,
    Thanks for stopping by my blog, the ply was nice and smooth to paint on and not at all expensive, but of course it is heavy.($16 for a 2' x 4')

    Yes Seattle's great, very cosmopoliton which I like coming from Europe and yes the food is great too, there is a real French bakery here that makes the best pastries, why is everything yummy not good for us!?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow Ken - this is a great painting even if you did have to saw a piece off!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, Liz. Maybe I need to get the saw out and whack some other pieces? :-) I didn't particularly want the machine to be the focus, but . . . I guess the machine needed to be brought more to the front! :-|

    Thanks again.
    Ken B.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment.